Los Alamos National Laboratory New Mexico 87545
Physical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy (C-PCS) Group
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico
Dates: March 2009 to current
Research Focus: Biosensors and diagnostics
Other: Student and post-doctoral mentor, Chemistry Division bio-safety specialist, Chemistry Division HPI committee, Diversity committee member, LANL protégée program, various hiring committees, LDRD Chemistry review committee.
NIH Post-doctoral Fellow
Physical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy (C-PCS) Group
Mentor: Dr. Basil. I. Swanson
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico
Dates: April 2006-2009
Project Description: Detection of Tuberculosis Biomarkers in Patient Urine using the Waveguide-based Optical Biosensor developed at LANL, Detection of influenza virus using synthetic carbohydrate ligands, early and sensitive detection of breast cancer biomarkers in serum and nipple aspirate fluid.
Staff Scientist and Team Leader
QTL Biosystems LLC., Santa Fe, New Mexico
Dates: July 2003 – February 2006
Staff Scientist, Drug Discovery Division, July 2003 –February 2004.
Team Leader, Drug Discovery Division, February 2004 – December 2004
Team Leader, Biodefense Division, December 2004 – January 2006.
Lab Manager, Biosafety Level I and II Laboratories, April 2005 – January 2006.
University of New Mexico, School of Medicine
Dates: Spring 2003
Mentor: Dr. Thomas. C. Resta
Project Description: Estrogen Regulation of Erythropoietin Gene Expression during Hypoxia.
Ph. D, Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program
University of New Mexico, School of Medicine
Graduated: Spring 2003
Mentors: Dr. Nancy. L. Kanagy and Dr. Thomas. C. Resta
Dissertation: Estrogen Regulation of Erythropoietin Gene Expression during Hypoxia.
M. S. Microbiology
Barkatullah University, Bhopal. India
Graduated: Fall 1997
Mentors: Dr. Prakash. S. Bisen and Dr. Amitava Mukhopadhyay
Dissertation: Characterization of the Status of C11F9, A Multi-drug Resistant Cell Line.
GPA (Equiv): 4.0/4.0
B.S. (Hons) Microbiology
University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
Graduated: Fall 1995
GPA (Equiv): 4.0/4.0
Awards and Honors:
- 1995: Best All-round Student Award for the years 1992 – 1995, Gargi College, University of Delhi, India.
- 1997: Ranked 1st in Barkatullah University, India, in the Masters in microbiology Examination.
- 1999: Teamwork Award, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico.
- 1998-2001: Academic Scholarship, University of New Mexico.
- 2000: Outstanding Presentation of a Research Poster, University of New Mexico, Graduate Student Research Day.
- 2000: RPT Travel Grant from the University of New Mexico
- 2001: Outstanding Presentation of a Research Poster, University of New Mexico, Graduate Student Research Day.
- 2001: Sievers International Award for outstanding presentation of a research poster, American Physiological Society, Gender and Hormones in Physiology Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2006: NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship (through the World Health Organization). Current.
- 2006: Outstanding Postdoctoral Presentation Award, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Student and Post-doc symposium.
- 2007: “On the Spot Award”, C-PCS group, Chemistry Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 2007: “On the Spot Award”, C-PCS group, Chemistry Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory for student mentorship.
- 2008: Outstanding Presentation of a Research Poster, Biosciences, Bio-security and Cognitive Science Review, Los Alamos National Laboratory, June 2008.
- 2008: Travel award to attend the immunodiagnostics of tuberculosis conference in Virgina Beach, Virginia, September 2008.
- 2009: Los Alamos National Laboratory and Department of Energy Mentoring award.
- 2009: ADCLES Award recognition of science.
- 2010: ADCLES Award for Exceptional Mentoring, LAAP.
- 2011: LANL Technology Transfer Awards: Programmatic Impact Award, Biosensors for detecting disease-related biomarkers.
- 2011: Fellows of the Laboratory Consortium Regional Award.
Professional and Social Organizations:
- American Chemical Society: 2007-current
- American Association of Microbiology, 1992 – 1997
- American Association of Microbiology, 2003 – current
- American Physiological Society, 1999 – 2004
- American Heart Association, Council for Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease, 2001 – 2003.
- American Association of University Women, 2000 – current
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America: 2005 – current
- Indian Students Association, 1998 – 2003.
- Association for India’s Development, 2003 – current.
- Editor, 'DIYA', Newsletter, AID: Northern New Mexico Chapter, 2004 – 2007.
Selected Technical Presentations:
- ‘Estrogen Attenuation of EPO synthesis during Hypoxia’ Poster Presentation, Experimental Biology (FASEB) Conference, Orlando, Florida, FASEB J., 2001.
- ‘Estrogen Attenuates Erythropoietin Gene Expression during Hypoxia’. Poster Presentation, Gender and Hormones in Physiology Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Physiologist, 2001.
- ‘Estrogen Attenuates HIF-1 Staining in Hypoxic Hep3B Cells’, Poster Presentation, Experimental Biology (FASEB) Conference, New Orleans, LA, FASEB J, 2002.
- Estrogen Attenuation of EPO Expression During Hypoxia is not Mediated by Nitric Oxide’, Poster Presentation, Experimental Biology (FASEB) Conference, San Francisco, CA, FASEB J., 2003.
- Presenting the QTL LightSpeed Superquenching Assay for Renin, Merck Frosst Montreal, Canada, August 2004.
- Presenting the QTL Bio-Sensor Technology to The Government of India; and several other professional organizations in India, June 2005.
- ‘Detection of Breast Cancer Markers using the Waveguide based Optical Biosensor’, Los Alamos National laboratory, Post-doc Symposium, August 2006.
- ‘Waveguide-based Optical Biosensor for the detection of breast cancer markers’, Biodetection Workshop, Santa Fe, October 2006.
- ‘Detection of Tuberculosis Specific Biomarkers in Patient Urine using a Waveguide-based Optical Biosensor”, Keystone Symposium: Tuberculosis: From Lab Research to Field Trials, Vancouver, BC, April 2007.
- Invited Community Event: Los Alamos Women in Science Talk Series: Waveguide-based Optical Biosensor for Disease Detection, May 2007,Los Alamos.
- Sensors for Medical Diagnostics: Poster Presentation at Division Capabilities Review, July 2007, Los Alamos.
- Waveguide-based Optical Biosensor for the Sensitive Detection of Disease Markers: Presentation, C-PCS Group meeting, Los Alamos National Laboratory, August 2007.
- Waveguide-based Optical Biosensor for the Early Detection of Breast Cancer Biomarkers: Poster Presentation, American Society for Clinical Oncology, Breast Cancer Symposium, San Francisco, CA, September 2007.
- Invited Community Event: Panel Member and Presenter, National Tuberculosis Archive, Community Outreach, Albuquerque, March 2008.
- Biosensors for Medical Diagnostics, Poster Presentation at the Biology, Biosecurity and Cognitive Sciences Review, Los Alamos National Laboratory, June 2008.
- Poster Presentation at the Keystone Symposia on Emerging Drug Resistance, Bangkok. Thailand, October 2008
- Invited Participant: NIH ITRC Retreat, South Korea, Discussing the Future of Tuberculosis Research.
- Poster and technical Talk, Keystone Symposia on Tuberculosis and HIV, Arusha, Tanzania, October 2009.
- Invited Speaker, Tuberculosis Research Center, Chennai, India, July 2010.
- Invited Speaker, Portable Devices for TB Diagnosis Workshop, Singapore, August 2010.
- Invited Participant, Symposium on Diagnosis of Tuberculosis, Durban, South Africa, October 2010.
- Panel Leader and Invited Speaker and organizer, Tuberculosis Surveillance Workshop, Santa Fe, December 2010.
- Panel Leader, Global Surveillance Conference, Santa Fe, New Mexico, January 2011.
- Invited Panel Lead, Many Hosts of Mycobacteria meeting, Tampa, Florida, March 2011.
- Invited Speaker. American Chemical Society, 100th Anniversary of Marie Curie’s Nobel Prize, Special Symposium, Denver, Colorado, august 31st, 2011.
- Presentation of LANL Bioscience capabilities to the Department of Homeland Security, Office of the National Laboratories, May 2012, Los Alamos.
- Invited Attendee and Panel Member, Biodetection 2020, Organized by the Defense Threat Reduction agency, Santa Barbara, California, December 12-13th, 2011.
- Invited Speaker: Biodetection technologies Conference, Washington D.C. June 2012.
- Invited Speaker, Panel Member: Bio-surveillance Symposium. Hosted by Oakridge National Laboratory, Washington DC, June 2012.
LANL Committees and other:
- HPI Committee (2009-2011)
- MMWR (Now SoS) Planning Committee 2010
- Chemistry Division Representative on the LANL Biosafety Committee-2010-current
- B-9 Group leader hiring committee-2012
- C-PCS Group leader hiring committee-2012
- LDRD ER Chemistry Review Committee 2010, 2012
- LANL Proposal Workflow Design Panel, 2012
- LANL Post-doc Proposal Writing Panel Discussion, 2012
- Extensive participation with Drs. Catherine Cleland (DTRA Warfigher Support) and Dr. VanTuyle (DHS) on Bio and Chem Program Development Efforts.
Social Presentations and Publications:
- Judge, Science Fair, Middle-School Microbiology, 1998-2000.
- Careers and Curiosity, Science Presentations for Elementary School Children, Annual, 1999-current.
- Career Day at Ortiz Middle School, Presentation, May 2005.
- Authored articles regarding Molecular Biology as a profession: Published in Tumbleweeds Magazine, 2005.
- Speaker, Science and Options in New Mexico, Graduate Student Research Day, University of New Mexico, Biomedical Science Graduate Program, September 2005.
- Board Member (2004-current), Northern New Mexico Science Initiative, Promoting science education in New Mexico
- Explore your Horizons, New Mexico, Presentation at Annual Teacher and Student’s Fair, Teaching Molecular Biology to Middle and high School Children, 2007-current
- Member of the Los Alamos Post-doctoral Association, 2006-2008, Vice President, 2007-2008.
- Café Scientifique Technical Speaker, Four Talks within New Mexico, August-December 2010.
- Judge, Los Alamos Student Symposium, 2008-current.
- Anti-microbial issues outreach: 2010 to current, presentations at schools, newpaper interview and others
- Proposed Book: Many Hosts of Mycobacteria. A Comprehensive Discussion of Mycobacterial infections Across Species. Etd by: Harshini Mukundan, Ray Waters and Mark Chambers. Submitted Concept to ASM Press, April 2012.
Manuscripts in Preparation:
- Rama Sakamuri, Aaron Anderson, Mark Wolfenden, Jurgen Schmidt, Basil Swanson and Harshini Mukundan. Comprehensive Strategies for Optical Biosensing. Invited Transactions Paper, Proceedings of the ISOME.
- 3. Fortunato Ferrara, Sandeep Kumar, Nileena Velappan, Basil Swanson, Harshini Mukundan and Andrew S. Bradbury. Novel Strategies for Ligand Development: application to a tuberculosis biomarker. Manuscript in Preparation. May 2012.
- 4. Karina Yusim, Shihai Feng, Preshnie Moodley, Han Shusheng, Harshini Mukundan, Basil Swanson, Willem Sturm, Bette Korber. M.tb. drug resistance: clonal expansion, acquisition and mixed infections studied using 5 new full-length genomes from KwaZulu Natal and 55 publicly available full-length genomes. Manuscript in Preparation.
- 5. Sakamuri R, Barry CE, Via L, Swanson BI and Mukundan H. High Density Lipoprotein: A Novel Carrier for Amphiphilic Pathogen Associated Molecular Patterns in Host Blood. Manuscript in Preparation. May 2012.
Manuscripts under review
- Sakamuri, R; Dickerson T, Mukundan H, Barry C III and Swanson, BI. Membrane Insertion for the Detection of Small Molecule Amphiphiles: Phenolic Glycolipids and Mycobactin. Submitted to Anal and Bioanal Chem, May 2012.
- Mukundan H, Kumar S, Price DN, Ray SM, Lee YJ, Eum S, Kubicek-Sutherland J, Grace WK, Anderson AS, Hwang SH, Cho SN, Via N, Barry C III, Sakamuri R and Swanson BI. Rapid Detection of M. tuberculosis biomarkers in a Sandwich Immunoassay using a Waveguide-based Optical Biosensor. In review (minor revisions), tuberculosis, May 2012.
- Wolfenden, M, Sakamuri R, Anderson A.S. Schmidt J.S. and Mukundan H. Siderophores for the Selective Detection for Viable Pathogens. In review, Minor revisions, Anal Bioanal chem, May 2012.
Manuscripts in Press or ASAP
- Mukundan H, Price D, Goertz M, Kumar S, Iyer S, Montano G, Parthasarathi R, Gnanakaran SG, Schmidt J and Swanson BI. Understanding the interaction of Lipoarabinomannan with membrane mimetic architectures. Tuberculosis. Articles in Press. Jan 2012.
- Mukundan H, Shively, J.E. and Swanson, B.I. Waveguide-based Platforms for Cancer Diagnostics, In press, Jan 2012, in "Cancer Diagnostics", etd by A. Rasooly, CRC Press. Scheduled Release Date June 5th, 2012
- Mukundan H, Xie H, Price D, Kubicek-Sutherland J; Anderson A.S. Martinez J.S, Grace W.K, Hartman, N, Swanson B.I. Quantitative Multiplex Detection of Pathogen Biomarkers on Multichannel Waveguides, Analytical Chemistry, 2010.
- Mukundan H, Anderson A.S; Grace W.K.; Grace K; Hartman N, Martinez J.S. and Swanson B.I, Waveguide-based Sensors for Pathogen Detection, Invited Review, Sensors, 9(7), 5783-5809.
- Mukundan H; Xie, H; Anderson A.S.; grace W.K, Price D, Swanson BI, Towards Photostable Multiplex analyte Detection on Single Mode Planar Optical Waveguides, Proceedings of the SPIE, 7167, 7167OQ-71670Q10, 2009.
- 14. Anderson, A.S; Dattelbaum A, Mukundan H, Grace W.K; Swanson BI; Robust Sensing Films for Pathogen Detection and Medical Diagnostics, Proceedings of the SPIE, 7167, 71670Q-71670Q10, 2009.
- Mukundan H, Xie H, Anderson AS, Grace WK, Shively JE, Swanson BI, Optimizing a Waveguide-based Sandwich Immunoassay for Tumor Biomarkers: Evaluating Fluorescent Labels and Functional Surfaces, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 20(2), 222-230, 2009.
- Mukundan H, Holt A, Shively JE, Martinez JS, Grace K, Grace WK, Swanson BI, Planar Optical Waveguides for the Quantitative Detection of Tumor Markers, Sensors and actuators, 20(2), 222-230, 2009.
- Kale R, Mukundan H, Price D, Foster-Harris J, Lewallen DM, Swanson BI, Schmidt JG, Iyer SS, Detection of Intact Influenza Viruses using Biotinylated Biantennary S-Sialosides, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 130 (26), 8169–8171, 2008.
- Kumaraswamy S, Weatherford W, Burke MA, Mukundan H, High throughput Superquenching Based Assays for Rapid Detection of Proteases Implicated in Disease Pathology, Submitted June 2008.
- Achyuthan KE, Bergstedt TS, Chen, L, Jones RM, Kumaraswamy S, Kushon SA, Ley KD, Lu, L, McBranch D, Mukundan H, Rininsland F, Shi, X, Xia W and Whitten DG, Fluorescence Superquenching of Conjugated Polyelectrolytes: Applications for Biosensing and Drug Discovery, J. Mater. Chem., Volume 15, 2648-2656, 2005.
- Mukundan, H; Burke MA and Achyuthan, KE; Genetic Engineering News, Volume 25 (04): 38, February 2005; HTS of Kinase Activity in Various Cells.
- Mukundan, H; Resta TC and Kanagy NLK 17-beta estradiol independently regulates erythropoietin synthesis and NOS activity during hypoxia.
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004 Feb; 43(2):312-7.
- Mukundan, H; Kanagy NLK and Resta TC; 17-beta estradiol attenuates hypoxic induction of HIF-1alpha and erythropoietin in Hep3B cells. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004 Jul; 44(1):93-100.
- Mukundan H and Kanagy NL. Ca2+ Influx Mediates Enhanced a2-Adrenergic Contraction In Aortae From Rats Treated With A NOS Inhibitor. American Journal of Physiology (Heart and Circulatory Physiology), American Journal of Physiology (Heart and Circ Physiol.), 281: H2233-H2240, 2001.
- Boykin LM, Lu H, Macken CA, Mukundan H and Naik AK, 2000, Recontructing the Evolution of Influenza B Viruses Using Maximum Likelihood Methods, Los Alamos Unclassified Reports (LAUR) 00-764.
- Mukundan H, Resta TC and Kanagy NL. 17-Beta Estradiol Decreases Hypoxic Induction of Erythropoietin Gene Expression. American Journal of Physiology (Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology), 283: R496-504, 2002.
- USDA Small grant Award for Bovine Tuberculosis Research, August 2010-August 2011, $50,000
- NMSBA Small Business Projects (Small ($20,000 EACH, 2 Grants) and leverage ($100,000 each, 2 grants)) for the Detection of Bovine Tuberculosis Biomarker. 2009, 2010.
- NIH RO3 Grant, Harshini Mukundan, Principal Investigator, Waveguide-based Optical Biosensor for the Sensitive Detection of Breast Cancer Biomarkers, October 2008-December 2010.
- Investigator, LANL LDRD DR (PI, Korber and Swanson), Understanding the pathology OF HIV-TB Co-infection.
- PI: NMSBA Leverage Project. "Detection of Bovine Tuberculosis in Infected Cattle", January 2010-December 2011. $100,000/year
- PI, CRADA with Biomagnetics Diagnostics Inc., $489,000. Development of the Optical Biosensor Technology for Commercialization.
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship, Effective October 2006-October 2008. "Detection of Tuberculosis Antigens in Patient Samples using the Waveguide based Optical Biosensor developed at Los Alamos National Laboratory".
- American Heart Association Pre-doctoral Fellowship, New Mexico Affiliate,"Estrogen Attenuates Hypoxic Induction of Erythropoietin Gene Expression" Mukundan H, Principal Investigator; $18,000 per year for two years, direct costs, Jul 2001 – Jun 2003.
- University of New Mexico, Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program, Student Fellowship. 1998 – 2001.
- PI, LANL LDRD ER, "Go FISH: A Smart Method to Capture Viable pathogens". October 2009-October 2012, $379,000/year
- PI: NMSBA Leverage Project. "Detection of Bovine Tuberculosis in Infected Cattle", January-December 2012. $100,000
- Investigator (with A. Deshpande, D-3), USDA STEC-CAP Proposal with University of Nebraska (through the LANL Institutes OFFICE). Detection of Shiga Toxin Carrying E. coli in Infected produce. To Commence, May 2012, 3-5 years, $1,000,000.
Student and Post-doctoral Mentorship:
- Dominique N. Price. Post-Baccalaureate student. 2007-2011. Currently graduate student at the University of New Mexico, Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program. Invited to attend the Nobel Laureates Meeting in Lindau, Germany, in June 2011. Co-author on five peer-reviewed manuscripts.
- Jessica Kubicek-Sutherland: Summer student 2006-2007, Post-Baccalaureate Student 2008-2009. Co-author in three peer-reviewed publications. Placed Second in biology in the Department of Defense Annual Serch Competition held at Oakridge national Laboratory in 2009. NSF Fellowship holder. Currently Graduate student at University of Santa Barbara.
- Jesse M. Resnick. Summer Student 2007-2008. Post-baccalureate student 2009-2010. Co-author in one manuscript currently being submitted for publication. Placed third in chemistry in the Department of Defense Annual Serch Competition held at Oakridge national Laboratory in 2009. Accepted to Medical School for August 2012.
- Matthew R. Scholfied. Post-baccalaureate student 2010-2011. Co-author on one peer-reviewed publication. Currently graduate student in University of Colorado, Fort Collins.
- Felicial Archuleta. Post-baccalaureate student 2010-2011. Presented at the Los Alamos National laboratory Student Symposium. Currently accepted to graduate program at the New Mexico Highlands University.
- Ramamurthy Sakamuri. Post-doctoral fellow. 2010-current. Presented at the international tuberculosis research center annual symposium in South Korea in October 2010. Author on four different manuscripts currently being prepared for submission. Co-inventor on one provisional patent application.
- Sandeep Kumar. Post-doctoral fellow. 2010-current. Presented at the American Chemical Society Annual Meeting in Denver Colorado, August 2011. Author on one peer reviewed manuscript. Author on two others under preparation.
Dr. Clifton Barry III, Tuberculosis Research Section, NIAID, 301-435-7509
Dr. John E. Shively, Director, Beckman Research Center, City of Hope, California
Citizen, United States of America
Active Q Clearance