The countroom facility occupies 7000 square feet at LANL Technical Area 48. Using a mixture of manualautomated counting systems, the Countroom operates 24x7x365.24. The Countroom typically makes 70,000 measurements annually, where approximately
- 30,000 are gamma spectra,
- 30,000 are beta counts, and
- 10,000 are alpha spectra.
The Countroom-developed, database-backed, web visualization tools allow the user to view, analyze, extract, perform quality assurance checks, and report data. New tools are added regularly as needs arise.
Current Countroom Programs
70% National Security Programs
- Multiple agencies, including Department of Defense
20% Internally funded
- For example, Plutonium Bioassay
10% Other misc. programs
- Medical Radioisotopes
- Separations chemistry
- Advanced methods development
A Gamma spectrum from the web system. The Countroom also has database web visualization tools for its users.